Friday, April 18, 2008

strange convos

I get to talk to a lot of students about the gospel while over here. Thank the Lord that my Russian has gotten to a point where I am able to have fairly deep spiritual conversations with students and really get into the gospel. Some of these conversations are weird, though... not because of the language gap. It's just that some students have weird ideas about God, the Bible, and eternal life. I don't know how many times I have asked students what the think happens after death and they say reincarnation, then I ask them what it means to be a christian, and they say go to church and read the bible, and then I ask them if they think they are a christian, and they say: "of course!!!". I also had a convo just this past monday with a guy in the cafeteria. I asked him what he thought happens after death. His response: "I'm going to heaven", I then asked him what it meant to be a christian, and he gave me a very vague answer, but said that he thought he was a christian. The clincher, though, was when I asked him what his desire to know God was on a scale of 1-10, he said ZERO! I think at least 99% of the students that I have talked with have no clue what the gospel really says, or how they can know God. This is why I am here, and why I do what I do. In Russia, and even more so in some other countries, the average person doesn't even have a chance to hear about the saving grace of Christ's blood, and that is why I will probably be working overseas for the rest of my life.

No comments: